Barnum Institute of Science and Horror
You are allowed one Parry and one Attack, or one Parry and one Dodge per round. The target of a Parry must be declared at the start of the round (per initiative order).
- Parry – select a weapon to parry the designated hand-to-hand attack and use the skill of the weapon to attempt the parry. Success negates attacker’s success. However, the weapon used to parry takes the damage. NOTE: if using Martial Arts:
- If the success is equal to or lower than this skill, no damage is taken
- If not, the damage is reduced to 1/2
- Dodge – you can elect to dodge a blow that is going to hit you. Call “dodge” and a success negates the attacker’s success. However, you forfeit your next Attack Round.
DEX ranks of defenders are halved during a surprise round.
- For extreme surprise, defenders don’t get attacks first round.
- Defenders can still Parry or Dodge attacks from the front or sides.
Order: highest DEX to lowest DEX (on ties, lowest d100 goes first).
- Aimed and ready firearms shoot once prior to hand-to-hand (h2h)
- Automatic actions go next: characteristic, skill, spell, etc.
- Attacks go next: h2h, readied firearms, drawing a firearm, etc.
- Guns rated at 3 shots a round go next.
Pointed hand-to-hand weapons and firearms can impale.
- d100 of one fifth of skill maximum (or less) causes impale
- Impale does x2 damage
- Some Mythos creatures are immune to impales
- Impaling h2h weapons are stuck; requires skill check to remove (no extra dam)
Investigator attempting a Dodge may also Parry, but not attack.
Parry skill=defenders skill with the parrying object.
- 1 parry per round
- Object used to parry absorbs the damage.
- If damage > object HP, it breaks and defenders receives the rest.
- Foils, rapier, most swords, and sabers can attack and parry in the same round
- Firearms can parry but not also fire. Firearms don’t break due to parry, but no longer fire and must be repaired.
- Two successful Grapples can mimic a parry (one establishes contact, the next to grab the weapon or weapon hand).
- Only a Grapple can parry another Grapple.
Render a target unconscious for several minutes, rather than doing physical harm.
- Can only be performed with Personal attacks, or blunt instruments.
- Dam vs. HP on Resistance Table success => unconscious and target takes 1/3 damage (round down).
- Dam vs. HP on Resistance Table failure => target takes full damage.
- Successful First Aid or Medical immediately wakes a knock-out victim
If a Grapple succeeds in the first round and is not neutralized, then the attacker holds the target and may do one of the following. Victim can only escape a grapple by STR vs STR on Resistance Table. STRs combine with multiple people.
- Immobilize target: STR vs. STR on Resistance table. Target held fast indefinitely, until grappler attempts another action.
- Knock down the target: auto-success.
- Knock out the target (see Knock-Out Attack).
- Disarm the target: investigator could Grapple to prevent a h2h attack in the first round, then seize the weapon in the second round.
- Physically injure the target: second successful Grapple causes 1d6+db dam.
- Strangle the target: see Drowning rules. No further Grapple rolls required.
Reduces the actual damage of each damage roll.